July 20, 2012

summertime sadness

We have all heard it before, "Lana Del Rey is perfect". I totally agree, but let me point out that the Summertime Sadness video is also perfect. It wasn't too long ago that Lana released the video for National Anthem. That video sent the internet into a frenzy. People obsessed over it for days, and it wasn't too long ago that I still heard people talking about it. Now, I don't know if it was just me but I wasn't dying for that video. Now before you start judging me I want to point out that yes, that video was beautiful. Yes, that video had the greatest clothes and theme. Yes, the video highlighted Lana's persona. However, it was Lana doing Lana. Lana is known for her retro locks, and seductive pout that is reminiscent to the 1960's. When I heard that the National Anthem video would be JFK themed, I knew she would pull it off with flying colors. That is why I wasn't surprised that the video was good, since Lana can do a retro video like no one else could. That is why I wasn't yelling to the four winds that the video was the best thing ever; I knew it would be good the minute she decided set it in the 1960's. Now let us direct our attention to her newest video, the video for Summertime Sadness. I think this video appealed more to me, because it wasn't telling a flat out story. It had a lot of beautiful scenes that were so abstract, yet they still told a story all together. I loved the theme of falling, and I think it went well with the song (it would have been better with the original, but I was digging the remix), and it was remixed to go along with the version being played on the radio in the UK. I loved the scenes of smoke and suicide. They were so captivating and heartbreaking. I really see how Lana's album has a recurring theme with death, which may be because the album is about the man she loved who I predict is dead. I just really felt like this video was up to par with the Blue Jeans video, in the sense that it let the viewer interpret it how they perceived it. I just love how simple Lana looks, because it resembles the way she looked in her first videos (the ones she became famous for). I mean all her videos are really creative, and she puts so much effort into them. I just felt like this video was just so sentimentally gorgeous. I may be biased because this is one of my favorite songs from the album, and I love the idea of falling. It was my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment